Thursday, October 27, 2011

Contemplative


 Lately, I've been thinking on the idea of separation and suffering. I really don't think that it was God's original plan for us to experience separation; that's why it hurts. 

When I spent a year in South Africa, India and Zimbabwe, I saw some stuff. I saw stuff that even after 2 years, I still haven't fully processed it. 

Recently, when I felt some kind of self-centered need to wallow in my own self pity, I was reminded of these photos. These aren't just photos. These are images of people who have experienced extreme suffering. Suffering that I have and probably will never experience in my life. Some are prostitutes, some are orphans, some are uneducated child laborers and some are overworked, underpaid and overlooked individuals.  

Tell me you can complain when you see these faces. 










In the same way, consider the work Jesus did for us on the cross. Jesus experienced the ultimate separation. While he was hanging on the cross, he cried out to his Father. He screamed "Why have you forsaken me." In order for the price to be paid that complete separation had to happen. We will never know the extent of pain that Jesus experienced on that day but we must contemplate on it. 

Because of this, we will never know the separation that Jesus took away. 



No comments:

Post a Comment